Research Specialist, Molecular Discovery Core
Job location: Phoenix
PLEASE SEE http://uacareers.com/postings/41326 FOR A FULL JOB DESCRIPTION and instructions on how to apply. The following is an edited and abbreviated version:
The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix (COM-P) and Molecular Discovery Core (MDC) facility is seeking a Research Specialist to work under direction of the core director, Dr. Timothy Marlowe, in the analysis of biomolecules and discovery of novel drug molecules. The successful candidate for this position will have expertise in drug discovery techniques, surface plasmon resonance (SPR), high-throughput screening (HTS), solid-phase peptide synthesis, analytical & prep HPLC, lyophilization, and assay optimization. The candidate will be responsible for running experiments at the service center, interacting with clients, optimizing SPR-based and other HTS assays, synthesizing peptides, contributing to SAR studies in collaboration with medicinal chemistry, machine maintenance, organizing data reports, regulatory procedures, and other duties as required.
- Performs skilled procedures, tests and analyses requiring the delicate manipulation and/or fine adjustments to equipment in response to activity of the sample being used.
- Analyzes data and writes research reports/publications.
- Optimizes and performs assays for SPR, HTS, and other experiments.
- Synthesizes, purifies, and characterizes novel synthetic peptides.
- Interacts with investigators to facilitate experimental design and execution.
- Provides instrument training for scientists, students, and investigators.
- Assists in maintaining laboratory inventory, ordering research supplies, and chemical/biological safety compliance.
- Assists in the development of written operating procedures and performs quality control checks to ensure procedures are followed.
- Performs regular maintenance of core facility equipment.
- May supervise, monitor or coordinate work of subordinates.
Minimum qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND two years related research experience; OR, Six years research experience appropriate to the area of assignment; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.
- Experience in drug discovery, high-throughput screening assays, assay development, surface plasmon resonance, and other drug binding assays.
- Experience in solid phase peptide synthesis and HPLC purification of peptides.
- Experience with robotic liquid handling systems and assay automation.
- Experience with the optimization of a wide variety of biochemical, biophysical, and cell-based assays.
- Effective communication and problem solving skills.
- Strong writing and computer skills, including MS Word, Excel, GraphPad Prism, and PyMOL.
$31,125 to $42, 843 Annually, Depending on Experience
PLEASE SEE http://uacareers.com/postings/41326 FOR A FULL JOB DESCRIPTION and instructions on how to apply. This was an edited and abbreviated version.
(Posted November 7, 2019. Open until filled.)
NEW Opening with ASU Downtown!
The College of Integrative Sciences and Arts is seeking a Chemistry Lab Coordinator to support a thriving general and organic chemistry program at the ASU Downtown Phoenix campus. The successful candidate will have a B.S. in Chemistry or similar and a year of lab experience *OR* 5 years of chemistry lab experience, and ideally will also have teaching, supervisory, and curriculum development experience. The Chemistry Lab Coordinator will supervise and train undergraduate lab instructors as well as directly deliver instruction to students. Please see the job listing for details!
In addition, we are seeking a Senior Instructional Specialist to support our materials preparation facility that prepares media and reagents for biology and chemistry courses offered in our teaching labs. The successful candidate will have a B.S. in Biology or Chemistry or similar and three years of lab experience *OR* 7 years of lab experience, and ideally will also have experience in microbiological media and chemical reagent preparation in a higher education setting. The Senior Instruction Specialist will assist the Laboratory Manager and faculty in assuring that teaching labs are set up and functioning properly. Please see the job listing for details!
To apply, navigate to: https://cfo.asu.edu/applicant, select “Non-ASU employees”, and enter 55614 in the search for the lab coordinator position. Enter 55540 for the instructional specialist position.
January 2020 opening for Lecturer in Biochemistry
Looking for professional development? Interested in chemical or environmental safety? Did you know that ASU hosts an OSHA Education center with courses offered to the public?
Check out https://osha.asu.edu for current offerings in OSHA and ADOSH training, RCRA, DOT, HazWOpER, water management, Clean Air Act, regulatory compliance, professional certifications, and more!
Interested in using your chemistry expertise for solving humanitarian problems? Check out Chemists without Borders and their project initiatives!